- 2 x 400 g cans butter beans in brine, drained
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for roasting
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 20 g fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 20 g celery leaves , roughly chopped
- 15 g Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 T wholegrain mustard
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 T honey
- 1 x 500 g pack baby brinjals
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200 g mature Cheddar cheese, cut into 2 cm blocks
- rosemary a few sprigs
1. Place the beans in a bowl with half the olive oil, the garlic, herbs, mustard, lemon juice and zest, and honey. Combine thoroughly, cover and chill until ready to use.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Rinse the brinjals and make a 2–3 cm incision into the underside of each one.
3. Place on a baking sheet and rub with the remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast the brinjals for 20–25 minutes, or until tender but still firm. Stick a block of cheese and a sprig of rosemary into the incisions.
4. Return to the oven, turning the oven to grill. Grill for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts and is golden brown. Turn the marinated beans out onto a plate and top with the brinjals.
Cook's note: I really love beans, and have used them here to turn the brinjals into a substantial main.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Emma Nkunzana