You can use any cheese combo in this recipe, I used Gorgonzola and mozzarella, but cheddar, Gruyère and even ricotta would work, too. Simply decide how tangy or creamy you want it.
- 300 g Brussels sprouts
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 t salt
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 2 cups milk
- 120 g Gorgonzola or blue cheese, crumbled
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 100 g Parmesan, pecorino or mozzarella, grated
- 400 g penne, cooked al dente
- crusty bread or salad, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Toss the Brussels sprouts with the oil and salt, then roast for 20 minutes.
2. Melt the butter in a pan, then whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk until thick. Season with pepper and nutmeg.
3. Add the Gorgonzola and whisk until melted, then stir in the pasta and Brussels sprouts.
4. Spoon into a baking dish, sprinkle over the cheese, then bake for 20 minutes. Serve with bread or salad.
Photograph: Dirk Pieters
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom