- 3 cups water
- 1 T salt
- 120 g maize meal
- 30 g butter
- 24 x 1 cm Cheddar cheese cubes
- canola oil, for deep-frying
- 1 T honey
- 200 g dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- chutney or sweet chilli sauce, for serving
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan with a lid and add the salt.
2. Slowly add the maize meal and whisk until smooth.
3. Cook over a medium heat until the right consistency is reached. The pap should be stiff.
4. Add the butter and stir until combined and smooth.
5. Cover with the lid and take the saucepan off the stove. Set aside to cool.
6. Once cool enough to handle, use your hands to make golf ball-sized balls. Insert a cube of cheese into each pap ball.
7. Heat the oil for deep-frying while you’re rolling the balls.
8. Roll the balls in the honey, then in the breadcrumbs.
9. Roll the balls in the beaten egg, then in the breadcrumbs once more.
10. Deep-fry the pap balls until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve immediately as a snack with chutney, sweet chilli sauce, or any other sauce of your choice.
Extracted from Kitchen Queen by Lucia Mthiyane, published Human & Rousseau.