- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 400 g ricotta
- 150 g feta, crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 1 t basil, finely chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Rocket, for serving (optional)
- Pasta rice or polenta, for serving (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Cut the tops off the tomatoes (reserve for later use) and hollow out using a spoon. In a large bowl, mix the ricotta, feta, garlic, egg, basil, lemon juice, red pepper and salt and black pepper.
Spoon the mixture into the cavity of each tomato, place the tomatoes into a roasting dish and top each one with its “lid”. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 30 minutes or until tender.
Serve with salad leaves such as rocket, and pasta rice or polenta.
Chef's note: “This recipe is a great way to disguise vegetables on your children’s plates. Include more of their favourites, such as butternut, broccoli or baby marrow, in the stuffing to bulk it up.”