- 1 free-range whole chicken
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped into 5 equal pieces
- 3 leeks, washed and chopped into 4 equal pieces
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 t salt
- 2 x 35 g Woolworths Italian hunter-style salami packets
- For the cannellini mash:
- 2 x 400 g cannellini beans cans, drained
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt, to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- For the gremolata:
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 6 T Italian parsley roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- celery leaves a handful
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
Place everything except the salami into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hour, skimming the surface from time to time. Add more water if necessary. Remove the chicken and break into pieces. Add the salami to the broth 5 minutes before serving.
To make the cannellini mash, place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and thick, adding a little hot water to loosen if necessary. Season with salt.
To make the gremolata, mix all the ingredients and toss until evenly coated.
To serve, spoon the mash into warmed bowls. Place the chicken and vegetables around the mash and ladle in the hot broth. Serve with the gremolata.
Cook’s note: Serve with mostarda di frutta