- 2T cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cinnamon quills or sticks
- 8 allspice berries
- 8 whole cloves
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2t garlic, crushed
- 2t ginger, crushed
- 12 chicken pieces, cut into small portions
- 2 whole tomatoes, chopped
- 2T ground cumin
- 1T ground coriander
- 1T garam masala
- 1T mild curry powder
- 2t turmeric
- 1t red chilli flakes, crushed
- 6 curry leaves
- 8 medium potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups boiling water
- Salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over high heat.
2. Fry the onions, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and cardamom.
3. Once the onions are translucent and golden brown, add the garlic and ginger and fry for 2 minutes.
4. Place the chicken in the pot and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Now add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. The rest of the spices can now be added together with half of the water.
7. Coat the chicken well with the curry spices mixture and cook for about 10 minutes.
8. Add the potatoes and the remaining water.
9. Season with the salt, and continue cooking on high for another 5 minutes.
10. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft and cooked.
11. Serve warm.