- 4 skinless free-range chicken breasts, halved horizontally
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 1 x 5 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 x 200 g packet panko crumbs
- Sunflower oil, for frying
Season the chicken, then dip into the egg, ginger and panko crumbs respectively until coated on both sides.
Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and cook the chicken for 3 minutes on each side. Drain on kitchen paper.
Cook's note: “Tender, deep-fried chicken covered in crispy golden crumbs can be found at the many izikayas in Tokyo. It was one of the first things I ate when I stepped off the plane. (You’ll also find breaded pork cutlets, called tonkatsu). It’s delicious with the katsu dipping sauce.” Abigail Donnelly