- For the chicken livers:
- 500 g cleaned chicken livers
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t chilli, chopped
- 1 t Woolworths 11 in 1 spice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 t garlic, minced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ cup fresh cream
- Parsley to garnish
- For the rolls:
- 4 cups flour
- 2 t instant yeast
- ⅓ cup castor sugar
- 1 t salt
- ⅓ cup melted butter, plus extra for brushing
- 1½ cups warm milk
- 1 egg
- oil for greasing
For the chicken livers:
1. Season livers with the spices.
2. Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan and fry onion and garlic. Then add the chilli.
3. Add in the chicken livers and brown them. Cover with a lid to finish the cooking.
4. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the cream.
5. Simmer on a low for 5 minutes.
To make the rolls:
1. Put 3 cups of the flour, yeast, castor sugar and salt in a bowl. Combine well.
2. In a separate bowl, mix butter, milk and egg.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it.
4. Add ½ cup (60 g) flour and combine with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
5. Add the remaining ½ cup (60 g) flour and mix until a ball of dough is formed.
6. Knead until dough is slightly sticky and soft, and pulling away from sides of bowl, about 8 minutes.
7. Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap, and leave to rise in a warm spot until double in size, about 30 minutes.
8. Knock down dough by punching it lightly. Pinch off pieces and form 16 equal-sized rolls, placing them on a greased baking tray.
9. Cover with a towel and leave to rise for 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven to 180 °C.
10. Bake until golden, 12-15 minutes. Brush with melted butter while hot.
Videography: Xoli Zee Khumalo, Shavan
Video editing: Barry de Villiers