- 200 g vine tomatoes
- olive oil, for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250 g chicken livers
- 100 g flour
- 1 T toasted coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 T chilli flakes
- 1 chilli, seeded
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 T canola oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 T butter
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- bread, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and roast for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Pat dry the chicken livers using kitchen paper and season with fine salt.
3. Place the flour, coriander seeds, chilli flakes, chilli, lemon zest and juice and salt in a bowl and mix. Coat the chicken livers in the spiced flour.
4. Heat the canola oil in a pan over a medium heat, then add the onions and cook until caramelised. In a separate pan, heat the butter and fry the chicken livers until golden brown. Turn the livers and add the chicken stock, onions, tomatoes and garlic. Toss and cook for 10 minutes covered.
5. Serve with the roast vine tomatoes and bread.
Cook's note: This is my take on the delicious fried beef livers with onions sold on most street corners in my ’hood. Every township has its well-known aunty who makes the best livers and if they’re really good, it’s worth walking to the next township for lunch!
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Khanya Mzongwana