- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 1 t coriander seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x 3 cm fresh ginger piece, finely chopped
- 1-2 fresh red chillies
- 2 t sweet paprika
- 1 T garam masala
- 1 t turmeric
- 1 x 70 g tomato paste can
- 500 ml natural yoghurt
- 500 g chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 x 400 g cherry tomatoes punnet
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh coriander a handful, chopped
- Spring onions a handful, chopped
- Basmati rice, for serving
Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods, then toast in a dry pan with the other spices Grind roughly using a mortar and pestle.
Place the ground spices, garlic, ginger, chilli, paprika, garam masala, turmeric and tomato paste in a food processor and blend. Add the yoghurt.
Place the chicken pieces in the yoghurt. Cover with clingwrap and chill overnight.
Preheat the oven to 180°C, remove the clingwrap from the chicken pieces, then place them, marinade and all, into an ovenproof dish. Cover and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
Remove the lid or foil, add the tomatoes and bake for a further 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes blister and the sauce thickens.
Season to taste and garnish with generous handfuls of coriander and spring onions. Serve with basmati rice.
For sending us her recipe, Billie wins a R250 Woolworths gift voucher, as well as a R500 gift voucher from Le Creuset. SEND US YOUR RECIPES! Email your favourite tried-and-tested family recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org