Savouries are a must on every Eid breakfast table. These chicken tikka pies don’t disappoint with their flavourful filling and crisp, flaky pastry.
- 1 kg free-range chicken breast fillets, cubed
- 100 g Woolworths tikka masala Indian curry paste
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 cups Woolworths plain double-cream yoghurt
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 x 250g sheets Woolworths frozen all-butter puff pastry
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
1. Mix the chicken, tikka masala paste, lemon juice, yoghurt, tomato paste and coriander until all the chicken is coated in the marinade. Cover with clingwrap and chill overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C, remove the clingwrap and place the chicken and all the marinade into an ovenproof dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30–40 minutes, turning the chicken halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Leave the oven on.
3. Line a baking sheet with baking paper or grease lightly with cooking spray. Place both pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface and, using a rolling pin, roll out slightly. Cut each sheet into 9 equal-sized squares to make 18 squares.
4. Place 1 T of the cooled chicken in the centre of 9 squares. Dip your finger in water, then lightly moisten the edges of the pastry square. Place one of the remaining pastry squares on top of each pie and crimp the edges using a fork. Brush the tops of each pie with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
5. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm with a pie-and-samoosa dip.
Photographer: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Recipes: Saadiyah Hendricks
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom