- 2 tins chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Peanut oil
- 3 fat cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 split fresh red chilli
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped salted roasted cashews
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Brown or basmati rice for serving
- 1 tin (400g) coconut milk
Soften the onion in 1 or 2 tablespoons of peanut oil.
Stir in the garlic, ginger and spices for barely a minute until fragrant, and then stir in the coconut milk and bring to a bubble.
Add the drained chickpeas, chilli and a little salt and stir.
Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Check seasoning. Serve over steamed rice, sprinkled with cashews and coriander leaves.