- 340 g almonds, skinned and lightly roasted
- 3 slices day-old bread, crusts removed
- 1 1/2 cups iced water
- 3 – 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 t white balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Lemon-infused olive oil, for serving
Finely grind the almonds in a food processor, but do not allow them to form a paste.
Soak the bread in 1 cup of iced water for 5 minutes.
Place the ground almonds, bread, garlic, balsamic vinegar and 1 cup olive oil in a blender and blend at high speed.
Add more olive oil and water and blend until the soup is silky smooth.
Add salt to taste and refrigerate overnight.
Cook’s note: Add an interesting twist to the soup by using flowers of indigenous wild garlic (Tulbaghia violacea) to flavour and garnish it.