- 500 g ostrich steaks
- 3 T peanut oil
- 1 T soy sauce
- 1 punnet salad onions, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 chunk ginger
- 2 fat cloves garlic, chopped
- 250 g baby carrots, peeled and sliced lengthways
- 1 fresh red chilli, chopped
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 t cornflour, slaked
- A handful of coriander leaves
- 1 T sesame oil
- Steamed fragrant rice, for serving
Pat the ostrich steaks dry and cut them into strips.
Heat a little oil in a large, wide, non-stick pan or wok.
Add the ostrich strips and stir-fry in batches until nicely browned. Remove and mix with the soy sauce.
Add a little more oil to the pan. Add the onion, ginger, garlic, carrots, chilli, orange juice and chicken stock.
Simmer for a few minutes until the carrots are tender, but crisp. Add the slaked cornflour, stirring all the time, until lightly thickened and glossy.
Return the meat to the pan. Check seasoning.
Add more soy or a little salt if necessary. Stir in the coriander leaves and drizzle with sesame oil.
Serve with steamed fragrant rice.