- For the dough:
- 1/2 cup plus 2 T full-cream milk
- 140 g butter, at room temperature
- 250 g flour
- salt, a generous pinch
- 40 g caster sugar
- 1 x 10 g sachet dried yeast
- 2 free–range eggs, lightly beaten
- beaten egg, for brushing
- For the filling:
- 60 g butter
- 80 g caster sugar
- 100 g Woolworths chocolate pretzel bites or dark chocolate
- 2 T cocoa powder
- For assembling:
- 100 g roasted and salted almonds, chopped
- 2 ClemenGolds, zested
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the milk and 40 g butter together in a small saucepan until the butter has melted. Do not allow it to boil.
2. In a mixer, combine the dry ingredients for the dough. Turn on the machine and slowly add the warm milk-and-butter mixture, then add the beaten egg a little at a time. When the mixture comes together to make a dough, knead in the machine with the dough hook attachment until smooth, about 15 minutes. Add the remaining butter 1 T at a time until incorporated and mix for a further 5 minutes. The dough will still be slightly wet. Cover with clingwrap and leave to prove for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
3. To make the filling, combine the butter and sugar in a saucepan until melted. Add the remaining ingredients and melt to make a sauce, then set aside.
4. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle, spread the filling onto the dough and sprinkle with 80 g almonds and the ClemenGold zest. Roll up the longer side like a Swiss roll.
5. Cut the roll in half lengthways about 4 cm from the top of the roll, then twist the two halves together. Arrange in a zig-zag shape in a greased 25 x 13 cm loaf tin. Cover with a towel and allow to prove for a further 45 minutes. Remove the towel, brush with the beaten egg and stud with extra chocolate if you like. Sprinkle over the remaining almonds.
6. Bake for 1 hour, covering loosely with tinfoil after 30 minutes to prevent the top from burning. Cool in the tin before turning out and serving.