This trifle recipe by The Lazy Makoti is super simple to make, but will wow your guests. Readymade brownies are doused in Amarula, topped with layers of chocolate custard, Chuckles, chocolate sauce, meringues and raspberries. It’s a Christmas miracle!
- 2 cups ready-made custard
- 100 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 400 g Woolworths indulgent triple-chocolate brownies
- 3 T coffee
- ⅓ cup Amarula liqueur, plus 1 T for soaking the brownies
- 250 g Woolworths Chuckles
- 2 cups cream
- 25 g icing sugar
- 1 packet Woolworths berry meringue kisses
- 160 g raspberries
- 1 x 280 g sachet Woolworths chocolate sauce
- Woolworths edible gold dust, to decorate
1. Place the custard and chocolate in a saucepan. Gently heat, stirring, until the chocolate has melted completely. Cover the surface with clingwrap, then cool.
2. Place the brownies in the bottom of a trifle bowl and mix the coffee with 1 T Amarula. Drizzle all over the brownies. Use a rolling pin or saucepan, gently bash the Chuckles a few times to crush a little, then sprinkle about three-quarters over the brownies. Spoon the cooled chocolate custard over the top, then add a layer of the chocolate sauce before you cover and chill.
3. Combine the cream and remaining Amarula in a bowl. Sift over the icing sugar, then whip until soft peaks form. Cover and chill until you’re ready to serve.
4. To serve, give the cream a quick mix, then spoon onto the chocolate sauce layer. Scatter over the last few crushed Chuckles, raspberries and meringues, and dust with gold dust.
Production: Bianca Strydom
Food assistant: Nadia Meyer
Photograph: Jan Ras
Videography: Romy Wilson, Jan Ras and Barry de Villiers