- 70 g sugar
- 1¼ cups milk
- 60 g milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C. Place a greased 21 cm pie dish on a damp tea towel in a deep roasting pan. Heat 2 T sugar in a pan over a medium heat until caramelised, then pour into the pie dish and allow to set while you prepare the custard.
2. Heat the milk and remaining sugar until scalding point – the sugar should be completely dissolved. Pour over the chocolate and mix once the chocolate has melted. Pour the chocolate mixture over the eggs while whisking continuously until combined.
3. Pour the custard into the pie dish and fill the baking dish with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides. Bake for 45 minutes. Chill to set for 2 hours before serving.
Photographs: Andrea Van Der Spuy
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom and Irinja Bekker