- For the brownie base:
- 1 x 615 g box Woolworths Chocolate brownie
- 4 free-range eggs
- 140 g butter, melted
- 50 g Lindt mild 70% cocoa chocolate
- For the mousse layer:
- 1 x 150 g box Woolworths chocolate mousse mix
- 2 gelatine leaves
- 2 T water
- ¼ cup milk
- 200 ml whipping cream
- For the chocolate sauce/ganache (optional):
- ⅔ cup cream
- 100 g Lindt 70% cocoa chocolate, chopped plus extra for decorating
For the brownie base:
1. Prepare the brownie according to the package instructions.
2. Add Lindt mild 70% cocoa chocolate to the batter and mix through.
3. Fill a lined springform tin halfway with the batter (if there is batter left, simply bake it in a smaller casserole for an extra brownie!) and bake at 170°C for 25-35 minutes. Set aside to cool.
For the mousse layer:
1. For ease, we’ve used one box of Woolworths Chocolate Mousse. In order for the mousse to set well enough to cut through the cake, we’ll need to add gelatine.
2. Soak gelatine leaves in cold water for 5-10 minutes, then squeeze the extra water out of the leaves.
3. Heat a pan with 2 T water and add the gelatine, stir until melted.
4. Remove from the heat, then add milk, followed by the chocolate mousse mix.
5. Add whipping cream and beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure that the mixture if thoroughly incorporated. Beat for another 2 minutes until the mixture is brown and fluffy.
7. Spoon the mousse over the brownie cake and leave in the fridge to set for about 90 minutes.
For the chocolate sauce/ganache:
1. Heat cream and add chopped Lindt 70% cocoa chocolate. Stir until melted and remove from the heat.
The cake is already quite rich, so this sauce is completely optional.
To serve: Decorate the cake with chocolate shards and drizzle with chocolate sauce.