- For the base:
- 1 x 650 g box Woolworths Easy to Bake butterscotch brownie mix
- For the choc Rice Krispie layer:
- 150 g dark chocolate, melted
- 75 g Rice Krispies
- For the 7-minute icing:
- 220 g sugar
- ¼ t salt
- ½ t cream of tartar
- 2 free-range egg whites
- 3 T water
- 1 t vanilla extract
1. Prepare the brownie mix according to package instructions, then bake in a 20 x 20 cm cake tin.
2. To make the Rice Krispie layer, mix the dark chocolate and Rice Krispies. Spread on top of the brownie layer and freeze for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, make the icing. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Using an electric hand mixer, beat for 7 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
4. Remove the brownie from the tin. Top with the icing, then chill for 15 minutes before serving. Blowtorch the icing or grill for 3 minutes if you want to caramelise the top.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis Recipes
Food assistant: Claire-ellen Van Rooyen