- 400 g sugar
- 240 g flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1½ t bicarbonate of soda
- ½ t salt
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 2 t granulated coffee
- 1 Cup hot water
- 2 free-range eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 2 t vanilla essence
- For the icing:
- 150 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped and melted
- 1 x 385 g can condensed milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 30 cm baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
3. Stir the coffee into the hot water until dissolved. Add the milk and whisk. Combine the wet ingredients.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine.
5. Pour the batter into the baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
6. To make the icing, mix the chocolate and condensed milk. Alternatively, decorate with whipped cream, salted caramel, chocolate shavings or fresh berries and a dusting of icing sugar.
Cook’s note: You can also divide the batter between 2 round cake tins and bake for 20–25 minutes.