- 4 kg double-breasted turkey
- 2 x 400 g cans lentils, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 10 red salad onions, finely sliced
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 100 g king oyster mushrooms, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To roast the turkey: Preheat the oven to 180°C. Remove the turkey from its packaging, keeping it in the tinfoil tray and covering the flesh with additional tinfoil. Place in the oven and, after an hour and a half, remove the tinfoil.
Roast for a further 45 minutes, occasionally basting the turkey with its juices, or until the bird is cooked through and the skin crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes.
To make the salads: Place the lentils, parsley and salad onion in a bowl, with the juice of 2 lemons and ½ cup olive oil. Mix until combined. In a separate bowl, add the mushroom and coriander, with the remaining lemon juice and olive oil.
Season both salads and set aside to allow the flavours to infuse.
To serve: Add good helpings of the lentil and mushroom salads to each plate, and top with a succulent carving of turkey. Serve warm.