- 350 g sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups cream
- 400 g butter
- 2 x 220 g packets Woolworths butter shortbread, crushed
- 1 x 250 g packet Woolworths Chuckles malt puffs
1. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and turned golden brown in colour.
2. Remove from the heat, then carefully add half the cream and whisk until combined.
3. Add 350 g butter, 1 T at a time, whisking between each addition, making sure that the butter has completely melted before adding more.
4. Cover and chill overnight or for at least 6 hours.
5. To make the base, melt the remaining butter and mix with the shortbread, then press into the base of a 20 cm springform cake tin. Chill for 1 hour.
6. Remove the caramel from the fridge and whip using an electric mixer while slowly adding the remaining cream until stiff. Top with the whipped caramel, then chill for a further hour before cutting into 16 slices and serving.
Cook’s note: This twist on the classic millionaire’s shortbread needs just six ingredients, but you’ll be making this whipped caramel again and again.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom
Food assistant: Irinja Bekker