- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 punnet leeks (about 200g), chopped
- 2-3 sticks celery, chopped
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 400-500 g carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 250 g parsnips peeled and cut into chunks
- 250 g turnips peeled and cut into chunks
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the herbed dumplings, mix together
- 4 beaten eggs
- 4 T sunflower oil
- 1 cup matzo meal
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs (a mix of parsley, dill and chives)
- ½ t salt and a pinch of pepper
Soak the barley while softening the onion, leek and celery in the oil.
Stir in the garlic then add the remaining ingredients, except the seasoning.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat. Skim off any foam.
Simmer, half covered, for about 1 hour or until the vegetables are soft. Season to taste.
Meanwhile, roll the dumpling mixture into golf-ball-sized balls and simmer, covered, in salted boiling water for 20 to 30 minutes or until swollen and cooked through.
Gently drain and serve with the soup, reheating in the soup.
Variations: If you prefer a meaty soup, add some marrowbones and a chunk of beef shin. But make it the night before, as it will take double the time to cook.
Per serving: 2119.5kJ, 12.3g protein, 25.1g fat, 57.2g carbs
Enjoy a big bowl of this soup with dumplings, add good bread and cheese for afterwards, and you have the perfect supper.