- 200 g desiccated coconut
- 2 free-range egg whites, beaten
- 300 g strawberry or apricot jam
- For the shortbread base:
- 225 g butter
- 100 g sugar
- 240 g flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mix the coconut and egg white and set aside.
2. To make the base, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the flour.
3. Press the base into a greased 20 x 20 cm pan. Prick all over with a fork and bake for 25 minutes.
4. Spoon over the jam and coconut mixture, then bake for a further 15 minutes. Cool and slice into squares.
Cook's note: Replace the coconut topping with 100 g flaked almonds if you like.
Photographs: Toby Murphy
Food assistant: Emma Nkunzana