- 70 g butter
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 x 10 cm fresh ginger piece, half peeled and grated; half peeled and finely sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 x 400 ml coconut cream can
- 1 x 400 ml coconut milk can
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 2 x 500 g fresh green shell New Zealand mussels packs
- Fresh basil, for serving
- Bread, for dipping
Melt 50 g butter in a saucepan, then add the chilli, grated ginger and onion. Soften over a low heat for 5 minutes without colouring the onion. Increase the heat slightly, add the coconut cream and milk and stir. Bring to a simmer, add the brown sugar and lime juice, then add the mussels. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes to heat through.
Melt the remaining butter in another small saucepan. Gently fry the sliced ginger until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
Sprinkle the fried ginger over the hot mussels and serve with the fresh basil and bread.