- 140 g sago
- 4 pieces mace
- 1 x 10 cm piece orange rind
- 1 x 10 cm piece lemon rind
- 2 pups coconut milk
- 50 g treacle sugar
- creamed honey, for serving
- For the pumpkin seed brittle
- 80 g pumpkin seeds
- 2 T white sugar
1. To make the sago, place all the ingredients in a pan. Soak for 30 minutes, then simmer for 20 minutes over a low heat, stirring often, until the sago is soft.
2. To make the brittle, heat the sugar in a pan over a medium heat until it turns caramel in colour. Place the pumpkin seeds on a silicone baking mat, then pour over the sugar. Allow to cool, then crush.
3. Serve the sago warm with a sprinkle of brittle and a spoonful of honey.
Cook's note: The sago is also delicious served cold with sliced fresh fruit. Use almond or oat milk to replace the coconut cream. To jazz up the pudding, pour the mixture into a greased pudding dish and make a batch of the lemon queen of pudding’s meringue topping. Spoon the meringue over the sago with some marmalade or apricot jam and bake until the meringue is set
Photography: Andrea van der Spuy
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom & Irinja Bekker