- 10 peppercorns
- 1 t ground allspice
- 3 cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 leeks, roughly chopped
- 4 celery sticks with leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 onions, peeled and halved
- 3 turnips, peeled and halved
- approx. 1 kg Woolworths corned beef
- 3 T olive oil
- 250 g baby carrots
- 4 T honey
- 3 T Dijon mustard
1. Place all the ingredients except the olive oil, baby carrots, honey and mustard in a large saucepan and top up with water Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Add the beef and simmer for 1 hour.
2. While the beef is simmering, heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof pan, add the carrots and brown for 5 minutes. Add the honey, reduce for a further 5 minutes, then set aside.
3. When the beef is done, remove from the liquid. Place the carrots in the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes to heat up and caramelise.
4. Slice the corned beef against the grain and serve with buttery carrots and mustard.