“This sexy sarmie was my introduction to corned tongue. It’s a surprisingly good cold cut to add to your next sandwich with good cheese and some pickles.”
- For the tongue:
- 1 kg Woolworths corned beef tongue
- 1 large onion, sliced into wedges
- 1 stick celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- bay leaves, a few
- 1 T black peppercorns
- For the sandwich:
- 4 slices Woolworths Berliner landbrot
- 4 T Woolworths burger mayonnaise
- 100 g Cheddar, grated
- 100 g mozzarella, grated
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 100 g butter
- 2 pickled onions
- 2-4 gherkins
1. Place the ingredients for the tongue in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2½ hours. Remove from the pan and allow to cool. Peel and slice thinly. Set aside until ready to use.
2. To make the sandwiches, spread the mayonnaise onto the bread and top with the cheese, onion and tongue.
3. Heat the butter in a pan. Toast the sandwiches on both sides until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Serve with the pickles.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Khanya Mzongwana
Food Assistant: Ellah Maepa