Who doesn't love creamed spinach? In this time-saving method, you make a cheese sauce, then stir chopped spinach through it. Now how about stirring it into a big ol' bowl of pasta?
- 100 g butter
- 50 g cake flour
- 1 cup milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bouquet garni
- 100 g Cheddar cheese
- 200 g spinach, washed
- 500 g penne, cooked al dente
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
2. Whisk in the flour.
3. Gradually whisk the milk in and season.
4. Add the bouquet garni and simmer very gently. Season with salt and pepper.
5. After about 5 minutes, remove the bouquet garni and whisk in the cheese.
6. Chop the spinach very finely or blitz in a blender until chunky.
7. Stir the raw spinach into the sauce.
8. Simmer for five minutes, then stir in the pasta. Serve immediately.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Production: Khanya Mzongwana
Food assistant: Ellah Maepa