- 1 head broccoli, broken into florets
- 4 free-range chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
- 1 x 250 ml tub cream
- 350 g fusilli
- 1 x 60 g tub grated hard cheese, for sprinkling
- 2 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 T butter
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan until smoking hot. Add the broccoli and fry for a few minutes until lightly charred and cooked through, but still vibrant green. Season to taste and set aside.
2. Season the chicken and fry in batches in the same pan with a little more olive oil until just cooked – about 5 minutes per batch. Set aside.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the butter and garlic and fry for 1 minute, then add the cream. Simmer for 10 minutes, then season to taste.
4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente, then drain, reserving some of the cooking water. Just before serving, toss the pasta through the cream in the pan, loosen with a little pasta cooking water if necessary, and season to taste. Toss through the reserved chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle over the cheese and serve immediately.
Cook's note: Adding a spoonful of the pasta cooking water makes the dish go further and coats every strand.
Photographs: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Food assistant: Kate Ferreira