- 400 g free-range mini skinless chicken breast strips
- 2 t cornflour
- 1 free-range egg white
- Salt, a pinch
- Canola oil, for frying
- 4 baby gem lettuce hearts, rinsed, dried and halved lengthways
- 4 cobs sweetcorn
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 6 salad onions, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- 1⁄2 t chilli paste
- Smoked Maldon salt, to taste
- Fresh coriander, chopped, for serving
- Cooked basmati rice (white or brown), for serving
- Extra hot sauce, for serving (optional)
Halve the chicken strips.
Mix the corn flour, egg white and salt in a bowl until smooth. Stir in the chicken and combine well. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
Heat a wok or suitable pan over a high heat. Pour in 2–3 T canola oil to coat the pan. Add the lettuce halves and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes, until they’re starting to catch and wilt. Remove and set aside.
Add a little more oil. Using tongs, remove the chicken from the corn flour mixture and stir-fry in the hot oil for 1–2 minutes Remove from the pan and set aside.
Cut the corn off the cobs. Add another spoonful of oil to the pan. Stir-fry the corn with the garlic, chilli and onions for 1–2 minutes.
Return the chicken to the pan. Add the stock, cream and chilli paste, and season with the smoked salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes until the chicken is cooked through. If necessary, add a little more stock or cream.
Return the lettuce to the pan and check the seasoning. Top with lots of chopped coriander and serve with the rice.