- 1 large brinjal
- 1 t tahini
- 1 t honey
- 1⁄4 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 x 400 g can Woolworths painted lady beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400 g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 100 g feta
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley and dill (or fennel fronds), chopped
- 1 t sumac
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 T olive oil
- 85 g flour
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 50 g panko crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 wraps, charred, for serving
- 50 g baby organic spinach leaves, for serving
- A handful fresh mint, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Preheat the oven’s grill. Prick the brinjal all over and grill for 45 minutes, or until soft and charred.
Peel and place the brinjal, tahini, honey and yoghurt in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
To make the falafel, place the beans, feta, garlic, herbs, sumac, lemon juice and olive oil into a food processor and pulse until chunky.
Shape into small balls, then roll in the flour, dip into the egg and coat in panko crumbs.
Half-fill a small saucepan with oil and place over a medium heat until almost smoking.
Fry the falafel in batches until golden brown and drain on kitchen paper. Serve the falafel in the wraps with the baby spinach, mint, brinjal purée and lemon wedges.