- 6 large potatoes
- 2 T butter
- T olive oil
- 3 leeks, roughly chopped
- 125 g bacon, chopped
- 2½ cups full-cream milk
- 500 g frozen haddock
- 1 T flour
- 1 t ground nutmeg
- white pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the potatoes on a baking tray and bake for about 35 minutes, or until tender.
2. While the potatoes are baking, heat the butter and olive oil in a saucepan, then add the leeks and bacon and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add 2 cups milk and bring to the boil. Add the haddock, reduce the heat and poach for 7 minutes.
4. Transfer the haddock to an ovenproof dish. Mix the flour with 1 T water, increase the heat and whisk into the milk mixture. Once thickened, add the nutmeg and seasoning and pour the milk over the haddock.
5. Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Cut each potato in half and scoop out the flesh into a small saucepan. Add the remaining milk and mash using a potato masher until smooth. Season to taste.
Spoon the mash over the haddock and bake for 25 minutes, or until crispy and caramelised.
Cook’s note: Serve with peas, blanched or pan-fried with garlic and butter.