- 1 kg mussels, cleaned and debearded
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup fish stock or seafood stock
- 1 organic lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup fresh cream
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 - 2 short baguettes, for serving
Only use tightly closed mussels. Rinse well and drain. Place the mussels, wine and garlic in a suitable saucepan. Cover tightly and cook over a high heat for a few minutes until all the mussels have opened. Discard any that do not open. Add the stock, lemon zest and juice.
Bring to a simmer. Add the cream and simmer for a few more minutes. Season with pepper – there should be no need for salt. Serve in bowls with the baguettes on the side, for dunking.
Slice the baguettes lengthways into sticks. Toast at 170°C for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden.