- 3 T olive oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 1 t yellow mustard seeds
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 500 g prawns, deveined
- 1 t ginger, crushed
- 1 t garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup coriander, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, finely chopped
- 3 t red masala
- 1 t garam masala (optional)
- 8 curry leaves
- 3 t chilli, finely chopped
- 6 - 8 ripe tomatoes, puréed
- 2 t sugar
- 1/2 cup cream (alternatively use plain yoghurt)
- Sea salt to taste
- Poppadoms, for serving
- Cucumber raita, for serving
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, mustard seeds and cumin for 1 minute.
Add the prawns, ginger, garlic, coriander and mint. Cook over a medium heat until the prawns turn opaque and pink.
Add the spices, curry leaves and chilli, and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add the tomatoes and sugar and cook for 10 minutes over a low heat.
Add the cream or yoghurt, season with salt and simmer for a further 10 minutes
Serve hot with poppadoms and cucumber raita.