- 1 small pumpkin, cut into thin wedges
- 1 T olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 100 g butter
- 200 g baby leeks, sliced
- 2 t garlic, chopped
- 10 g sage
- 300 g risotto rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 x 1.2 kg bag Woolworths butternut soup , warmed
- crème fraîche, for serving
- Parmesan, grated, for serving
- for the paprika oil:
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 t paprika
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Arrange the pumpkin wedges on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season. Roast for 40– 45 minutes while you make the risotto.
2. Place the butter, olive oil, leeks, garlic and sage in a large saucepan and simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the risotto rice and fry gently while stirring continually to toast the rice slightly until it starts to appear translucent.
3. Add 1 cup water and stir until absorbed, then add another cup and allow the grains to swell slightly. Add the butternut soup one cup at a time until all the soup is absorbed and the rice is tender.
4. To make the paprika oil, heat the oil over a low heat. When warm, remove from the heat and add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then stir through the paprika. Make sure the oil is off the heat so the spice and garlic don’t burn.
5. Season to taste, add a spoon or two of crème fraîche and a little butter if you like. Serve immediately, topped with the pumpkin, Parmesan and paprika oil.
Photograph: Andrea Van Der Spuy