- 2 large baguettes, sliced into 3 lengthways
- 2 T olive oil, for drizzling
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled, stoned and halved
- 3 T fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 x 280 block six-months-matured
- farmhouse Cheddar
- 1 x 400 g jar mild pickled onions, halved
- 2 x 75 g packets salted potato stick crisps
Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
Place the sliced baguette on baking trays and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Bake for 8 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
Add the avocado halves to a large bowl and mash with the fresh parsley, lemon juice and seasoning.
Spread a generous layer of smashed avocado onto the lower layer of each baguette and top with the next slice of baguette.
Run a vegetable peeler along the side of the block of Cheddar to create thin slivers of cheese.
Add a good amount to the next layer of each baguette and top with the picked onion.
Finally, top with salted potato stick crisps and the last slices of crispy baguette.
Cook’s tips: Serve with a ramekin of chunky chutney for dipping. Or toss together a few crisp greens with a sweet mustard vinaigrette and serve alongside your indulgent cheese-and-onion sandwich.
Per serving: 3067.6 kJ, 20.6 g protein, 38.6 g fat, 77.7 g carbs