- 1 T fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Serrano chilli, chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1.5 litres water
- 2–3 sticks Woolworths concentrated mushroom stock
- 3 star anise
- 1 t peppercorns
- 3–4 T soya sauce
- wholewheat egg noodles or soba noodles, for serving
- 1 x 400 g Woolworths mixed button mushrooms, punnet roughly chopped
- honey, to taste
- 1 t toasted sesame oil
- 200 g Woolworths tempura batter mix
- 1 x 300 g punnet Woolworth’s exotic mushrooms
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 spring onions, sliced, for serving
- toasted sesame seeds, for serving
Fry the ginger, garlic and chilli in 2 T olive oil for 1–2 minutes. Add the celery, water, stock, star anise, peppercorns and 2 T soya sauce and simmer for 30 minutes.
Strain, reserving the stock, then bring the stock back to the boil and cook the noodles in it. Add more soya sauce to taste if necessary.
Pan-fry the mushrooms until golden, then stir through a dash of honey and the sesame oil and cook until caramelised.
Whisk the tempura batter mix with 2 cups cold water, ensuring there are no lumps. Dip the exotic mushrooms into the batter and shallow fry in the oil in batches until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
Serve the broth with the mushrooms and noodles, garnished with spring onions and toasted sesame seeds