- 1 400g Woolworths Ready Rolled Light&Flaky Puff pastry
- 1 Woolworths Free Range Eggs (beaten)
- 250 grams Woolworths Chicken Breast Fillets (Cubed)
- 2 cups Woolworths Baby Spinach (chopped)
- 2 Woolworths Fresh Medium Carrots (finely chopped)
- 1 Large Onion (finely chopped)
- 4-5 medium cloves Fresh Garlic (chopped)
- 1 stick Woolworths Concentrated Chicken Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- 5-6 tablespoons Woolworths Mediterranean Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Woolworths Fresh Butter
- 1 and 1/2 cups Woolworths Fresh Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Nutmeg
- 2 Fresh Bayleaves
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Cumin Powder (Jeera)
- 1/2 a teaspoon Red Curry Powder
- 1/2 a teaspoon Freshly Ground Turmeric Powder
- White Flour
Defrost frozen puff pastry at room temperature.
(Cook's note: Pastry should be able to roll out without cracking.)
Cut into 4 equal longitudinal pieces. Each piece should be filled and rolled and then cut into approximately 6cm length for each mini pie. (Cook's note: using a fork press the sides of each pie securely to prevent filling from seeping when baking.)
Egg-wash each pie before baking or freezing.
(Cook's note: Add to the beaten egg a few drops of cold water and season with a pinch of sea salt before brushing onto pastry.)
Using a sharp skewer or fork perforate the top of the pastry for even baking.
Pie Filling Preparation:
Marinate chicken breasts fillets by rubbing in cumin powder, turmeric powder, red curry powder, black pepper and salt (according to taste). Allow meat to rest for about 10-15 minutes. Then cook in a skillet on medium to high heat for about 10-minutes until browned but still tender. Take off the heat and chop into bite-sized cubes.
Saute in olive oil and butter the finely chopped onions, carrots,and garlic on medium heat for about 5-8 minutes. Then add chopped spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes. Lastly stir in the cooked chicken pieces and incorporate all the ingredients well. Remove from heat.
In a separate pot, mix equal parts, butter, olive oil and flour to create a roux mixture on low to medium heat. Ensure that your flour cooks well for about 5 minutes. Then add the concentrated chicken stock, milk, nutmeg, and bayleaves. Stir continuously using a whisk to create a thick creamy velvety sauce-like consistency. Switch the heat off, remove the bayleaves and add in the above cooked spinach and chicken mix. Mixture should thicken considerably as it cools. Take off the stove and allow to cool thoroughly before filling the pies.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Bake pies for approximately 20 minutes until pale golden brown. (Uncooked pies freeze well for up to a month in an airtight container. Bake frozen pies at same temperature settings accordingly.)
Serve warm with a delicious cup of earl grey tea or coffee.
Makes a classic comforting, winter-warming family treat.