“The moment I popped one of these into my mouth, I was transported back to my days at after-care in Johannesburg, sitting on miniature plastic chairs with my friends and dunking these into mugs of lukewarm tea. If you don’t mind a bit of sugar, replace the apple sauce with apricot jam. Maybe your children will remember them too.” – Hannah Lewry
- 510 g cake flour
- 4 t baking powder
- 55 g custard powder
- 250 g butter, at room temperature
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 8 T Woolworths Woolies Babes apple pureé, plus extra for baking
- apricot jam (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Sift together the dry ingredients. In the bowl of a stand-mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, eggs, vanilla and apple purée until light and fluffy.
2. Add the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms, taking care not to overmix.
3. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and roll out 40 g balls of cookie dough. Place them on the trays 1 cm apart and use your thumb to make an indentation the centre for the filling. Fill each cookie with ½ t apple sauce or 1 t jam. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until slightly golden.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Hannah Lewry
Recipes: Hannah Lewry and Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen