“A delicious dessert is always the highlight of the Seder (Passover celebration). This date-and-nut meringue gateau is chewy and crispy and so easy to make! Serve it with berries and cream.” – Susan Greig, foodie, @susan_greig
- 6 free-range jumbo egg whites
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 t rose-water
- 200 g pistachios, finely chopped
- 200 g Medjool dates, finely chopped
- 200 g white chocolate nibs
- raspberries, to decorate
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20 cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
2. Slowly beat the egg whites until frothy, then add the caster sugar 2 T at a time, beating well between additions until the egg whites are light and glossy. Add the rose-water and gently beat it into the meringue mixture.
3. Fold in the nuts, dates and chocolate, then pour into the tin. Bake on the middle rack for 1 hour. Allow to cool, remove from the tin, decorate with the raspberries and dust with icing sugar.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom