- 250 g pitted dates
- 125 ml butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 60 ml sugar
- 20 Marie biscuits
- 100 ml desiccated coconut
1. Use a vegetable knife to cut up the dates.
2. Switch on the stove to low. Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan on the stove.
3. Add the date pieces to the butter or margarine. Stir until the mixture is soft.
4. Whisk the egg and sugar together in one mixing bowl. Stir the egg mixture into the date mixture. Blend thoroughly.
5. Take the saucepan off the stove and place it on a chopping board. Switch off the heat.
6. Use your hands and break the Marie biscuits into small pieces into the other mixing bowl. Stir the pieces into the date mixture. Leave it to cool.
7. Put the coconut into the shallow dish. Roll the date mixture into balls in your hands. Roll each ball in coconut.
8. Arrange the date surprises in a bowl to cool completely until they are firm.
Recipe extracted from Cook and Enjoy for Kids, published by Human & Rousseau (imprint of NB Publishers).