No Christmas roast is complete with gravy, and this drunken gravy version certainly has a festive flavour.
- 200 g Woolworths baby leeks, sliced
- 1 T olive oil
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup brandy (optional)
- 1/2 cup pan juices (from cooking the fillet or gammon)
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 2 - 3 cups gammon cooking liquid or stock, strained
- 2 T sour cream (optional)
- For the roux:
- 60 g butter
- 3 T cake flour
1. Fry the leeks in a hot pan drizzled with olive oil. Add the peppercorns and flambé with the brandy.
2. Add the reserved pan juices and lemon zest and reduce by half. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the flour and whisk over a low heat until golden brown and slightly nutty.
4. Add the gammon cooking liquid or stock.
5. Strain the pan-juice mixture and discard the leeks.
6. Add to the roux and cook, whisking, until thick. Check the seasoning. Whisk in the sour cream for a creamier finish.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food Assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen