- 6 T olive oil
- 2 large brinjals, cut into chunks
- salt, to taste
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 T sultanas
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 10 green olives, pitted and lightly smashed
- 1 T capers
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 handful parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 red heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- black pepper, to taste
1. Heat half the olive oil in a medium pan, then add the brinjal and season. Fry until caramelised, then remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the same pan, then fry the onion until translucent. Add the sultanas and fry for a further 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the vinegar, then set aside.
3. Toss the brinjal with the onion-and-sultana mixture, then add the olives, capers, garlic, parsley and tomatoes. Season and serve.
Cook’s note: If you’d like a caponata that is very tart in flavour, add 1 T tomato paste when you deglaze the pan with the vinegar.