- 15 shallots
- 2 T butter
- olive oil, a drizzle
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 fresh thyme sprigs
- aged feta cheese (or goat's-milk feta)
- 1 sheet readymade puff pastry
- baby herbs, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Peel the shallots and slice into 1 cm-thick slices. Heat 1 T of the butter and a glug of olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add the shallots and cook until browned and softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. To make the caramel sauce, melt remaining 1 T butter in an ovenproof pan over a medium heat. Stir through the caster sugar and balsamic vinegar. Add the minced garlic and the leaves of the fresh thyme. Season and simmer until it starts to caramelise.
3. Return the onions to the pan. Crumble over the feta cheese or goat’s-milk feta. Top with the sheet of readymade puff pastry and tuck the pastry in around the edge of the tart. Make a small cross incision in the middle of the tart using a sharp knife to allow the air to escape while baking.
4. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven, place a platter on top of the tart and flip over. Scatter with baby herbs and dig in.
Adapted from a recipe by Luke Dale Roberts.