- 4 duck legs
- 1 T Maldon salt
- 2 bay or thyme leaves or sprigs
- 600 g unsalted butter, melted
- Purple microherbs, to garnish
- For the Asian cucumber slaw:
- ½ cucumber, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 t fish sauce
- 2 T sugar
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 150°C.
Rub the duck legs with the salt, then pack tightly into an ovenproof dish with the bay leaves or thyme. Pour over the melted butter.
Cook in the oven for 2 hours, or until the skin is golden and the meat is tender. Remove the duck from the melted butter and set aside.
Heat a pan over a high heat. Place the duck legs, skin side down, in the pan and crisp for 1 minute, then turn over and cook the other side. Serve with the Asian cucumber slaw and garnish with purple microherbs.
To make the Asian cucumber slaw, combine all the ingredients and set aside for 10 minutes.