- 50 g butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 T boiling water
- 50 g cake flour
- 3 T lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 lemon zested
- 2 large free-range eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease a 1 litre or 19 cm ovenproof dish with butter. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, adding the boiling water to make the mixture more workable. Stir in the flour, lemon juice and zest.
2. Beat the egg yolks with the milk. Gradually add to the mixture. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then lightly fold into the mixture.
3. Pour into the dish, then stand the dish in a deep roasting pan half-filled with water. Bake for 30–35 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.