- 2 T olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 150 g chorizo, sliced into chunks
- 2 t smoked paprika
- 2 t cumin seeds
- 2 t chilli flakes
- 2 T tomato paste
- 450 g Woolworths exotic tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g can Woolworths cherry tomatoes
- 1 x 245 g sachet Woolworths pickled peppers, drained
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 free-range eggs
- 2 avocados, for serving
- coriander, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and cook the onion and garlic until soft. Add the chorizo and cook until caramelised. Add the spices and cook for 1–2 minutes, or until fragrant.
Add the tomato paste, exotic tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and pickled peppers. Stir until well combined, season, then gently simmer over a low heat until the tomatoes are soft – about 10–15 minutes.
Make wells in the sauce using the back of a spoon, then crack the eggs into the wells. Cover and cook for 3–5 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
Scoop the avocado onto the shakshuka and garnish with coriander.