- 500 g semolina
- 500 g butter
- 250 g flaked/nibbed almonds
- 1 T ground cardamom
- 1½ l boiling water
- 500 ml sugar
- 1 x 397 g cans condensed milk
- 1 x 290 g can dessert cream
- yellow, green and red food colouring (optional) see cook’s note
1. Toast the semolina in a large, heavy-bottom saucepan until lightly coloured and aromatic.
2. Cut the butter into chunks and stir into the semolina with the almonds.
3. Reduce the heat and stir fry until the almonds and soji are well fried and a rich cream colour. Add the water and cover immediately to prevent from splattering.
4. When the water has been absorbed, add the sugar and condensed milk and the ground cardamon. When the milk has been absorbed, pour in the cream.
5. Remove from heat and serve with a little cream.
6. Decorate with almonds.
Cook’s note: The rich yellow colour comes from the yellow butter, for darker yellow, dissolve 1 t powdered yellow food colouring in ½ cup rose-water and add with the sugar. To colour the almonds for decorating, separate into batches, add a few drops of food colouring and allow to dry fully.