- 2 T butter
- 1⁄4 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 celery, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 T flour
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 T tomato paste
- 4 g bouquet garni (or a bay leaf, sprig of thyme, sprig of parsley and a few black peppercorns)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Sauté the onion, carrot and celery until well browned. Add the flour and cook to form a roux.
Add the stock and tomato paste. Add the bouquet garni or herbs.
Simmer for 20–30 minutes. Strain and season to taste. Keep warm and covered until ready to use.